Construction Supervisor/Outside Plant Engineer
Directly supervises or manages all Construction Forces along with Install Repairmen activities, including designing projects, staking lines to be built, and Rights-of-Way (ROW) acquisition in compliance with RUS specifications. Implements network expansion and modernization plans. Approves new installations and coordinates Special Assemblies required to address unique customer requirements
This position would also supplement the Engineering Department with regular Field Engineering requirements while maintaining project completion guidelines for yearly facility build-outs, line extensions, and general maintenance. This position would require significant time traveling to the job sites as well as time in an office environment. Travel to job sites will consist of documenting on-going job status updates and resolving any conflicts or issues that may arise. The position requires developing accurate project plans, managing projects from inception to completion, ensuring efficiency and completion on time and within budget, communication and coordination with other internal departments, as well as construction contractors, as necessary to guarantee project deadlines and commitments are met on time. Ensure projects are maintained, completed, and closed with great accuracy.
Essential Job Functions
- Responsible for designing and developing outside plant equipment installation, modifications, upgrades and construction activities.
- Supports designs of line setup and staking specifications, and cable and line extensions.
- Conducts job costing activities and prices out job components.
- Assists in the planning, analysis, and recommendations in support of new construction of outside plant network structures and facilities. Included, but not limited to, Fiber-To-The-Premise, Copper/DSL technology.
- Supports/Oversees permitting with State, Local and Federal agencies.
- Responsible for obtaining right-of-way use approval.
- Responsible for acquiring field data.
- Responsible for maintaining all contractor as-built changes and assisting the engineering department with updates to drawings.
- Responsible for ensuring Construction Equipment and Vehicles are being properly maintained.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experienced with Google Maps/Earth, AutoCAD, Adobe Acrobat and Microsoft Office Suite
- Working knowledge of standard practices in Telecommunications
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Knowledgeable of Telecommunications construction services, ordering and installation of the following: Fiber, Telco, Coax, and general Aerial/Underground construction supplies
- Detailed oriented is paramount
- Must have ability to read and interpret legal land descriptions and easement
- Ability to work independently on multifaceted projects and meet tight deadlines
- Strong verbal and written communication skills to present facts clearly and accurately including in graphic form
- Excellent analytical skills
Education and Experience
- Three to five years of Telecom Construction Practices experience and RUS standards preferred
- Supervisory experience is a must
- Minimum of High School diploma, but Associate degree in Electronics and/or
Engineering or higher is preferred.
- Experience with AutoCAD and/or other mapping systems is a must
- Valid Driver’s License